About the property
- Cottage600 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay2 nights
2 bedroom with outdoor kitchen, bath & toilet (outhouse) with small ocean view
Relax into nature and all of the blessings of Hawaii at PapaLani Farm (which means Heavenly Earth Mother in Hawaiian). We are located 30 miles south of Kailua Kona…
• Serene 13+ acre organic avocado and macnut farm with an abundance of tropical fruit trees, veggies, herbs, flowers & berries.
The Eco-cottage was built December 2012, with a combination of in and outdoor living…
• Outdoor living
• Covered outdoor kitchen with necessities to cook meals (full fridge, 2 burner stove, sink, dishes, utensils, blender, coffee-maker)
• Covered outdoor bamboo walled shower with viewing space to gaze at the stars with an evening shower.
• Composting toilet.
• 2 large bedrooms with separate entrances so you can rent one space or both:
• One room has a queen bed
• One room has bunk bed with full and twin mattresses.
• Large lanai (covered porch) with an ocean and farm view.
• In the winter time it can get cool at this elevation morning and night. A propane heater is available, but be sure to bring heavy socks or slippers and a thick sweatshirt or fleece.
• Everything is kept clean and tidy although it is mostly outdoors so there are geckos and insects around.
• High speed internet and long distance phone services are provided.
• Full range of discounted spa services available on site for guests.
• Beach chairs, towels, & coolers available.
• Snorkel equipment available for $25/week.
• Our water source is 100% rainwater caught from the roof of our home and stored in catchment tanks. County water is made available to you in the kitchen for drinking.
• We have solar panels which are hooked to the grid right now to provide some of the electric.
• Perfect year-round climate, at 1600 ft. above sea level on the side of Mauna Loa Volcano (the most massive, active volcano on Planet Earth!).
• Savor the seclusion and quiet, away from the crowds and resorts.
• 4 miles from the closest place to jump in the ocean
• 15-minutes to Ho'okena Beach State Park for sunbathing and swimming with dolphins
• 20-minute drive brings you to the famous Pu'uhonua o'Honaunau (Place of Refuge) National Historic Park and Kealakekua Bay where you can kayak to Captain Cook's monument and snorkel with an endless variety of tropical fish and sea turtles & dolphins.
• 65 miles from Madame Pele's live action at Volcanos National Park
• 12 miles from KulaKai Caverns and Manuka State Park.
• Light hiking on the property where you can enjoy seeing all sorts of Hawaii's wildlife and plants.
• Explore the 30+ variety of fruit, nut trees & berries while at PapaLani, much of which is available for purchase during your visit.
• If interested, you can learn how to become more sustainable… We practice vermiculture (worms), permaculture, Korean Natural Farming, composting, mulching, solar, water catchment, and more.
• Find a nice place to meditate & relax.
• Nikki is the land owner. She fully respects your privacy. She is happy to provide info about the farm, things to do, places to go, etc.
• The farm is a working organic farm, therefore farm work may be occurring during your stay, but again, your privacy is fully respected.
* Lakshmi is the farm dog, she is loving, quiet and people!
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one hour
- Calendar last updated:
- Mar 30, 2018
About Nikki Spencer
Aloha I'm Nikki. PapaLani Farms has been a labor of love since 2003 for me. I have been doing body work since 1990 and have owned and operated spas ever since. If you would like to set up your stay as a retreat/cleanse just let me know in advance and we can make that happen.
Nikki Spencer purchased this Cottage in 2003
Why Nikki Spencer chose Papa
I purchased this farm because i am interested in creating a sustainable life & peaceful country living. I love to know where my food is coming from and be involved in the process. I like being away from the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy the cycles of the moon. The farm is spacious and private and offers endless opportunities.
What makes this Cottage unique
I enjoy the fruit trees, gardening, herbs, vermiculture, raising chickens, making mulch/compost, creating a beautiful and safe environment for people to explore themselves and their connection with nature.
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
Very neat place! Not your ordinary rental house, which was awesome.
Fun to experience the Big Island as part of a working farm. Lots of cool produce, and critters to explore. The kids loved tplaying cribbage on the lanai, and listening for, and finding frogs at night. Nikki was a perfect host. Definitely would stay again.
Lovely, Charming, and Peaceful place to relax under the stars
Nikki's place was exactly what we wanted which was a quiet, peaceful place to stay away from the noises and congestion of a city. Nikki was a wonderfully warm host and we immediately fell in love with her dog. The accommodations are clean and charmingly rustic but we had everything we needed and especially enjoyed the outdoor shower. If you're looking for a resort-style place close to town then this place is not for you. However if you'd like a serene getaway where you can walk outside to a sky full of stars then fall asleep to the sounds of frogs and geckos, this place is perfect.
Life can be simple
Our family of five stayed 2 weeks at Papalani Farm and first needed a couple days to adjust to the simple conditions. We didn´t expect cool nights (although the owner had told us before) and moisture, so we could have prepared better. But after a week, we really enjoyed it and got along with the simple conditions very well. The garden is beautiful, the children could run around and were welcomed to look at fruits and plants, picked some ... And we experienced the southern part of this island which is (for us) much more interesting than the more "touristic" areas in the north. It´s green and lush, fantastic views, little beaches ... The most beautiful beach was actually just around the corner. We would like to come again, with more warm clothes and more synthetics for faster drying. And we appriciated to have the very nice owner around to talk and get informations or help.
Wild, off the beaten path, rustic, simple, quaint
Enjoyed the beautiful location, seemingly off-grid, Nikki was a great host. No heater so can be cold at night, also limited options to cook food (no toaster, microwave, or oven, just single burner).
Aloha I just wanted to clarify some things from this review. There is a 2 burner stove as well as a toaster and there is a propane heater that can be used for the bedrooms at night it was in the kitchen and I'm sorry I didn't point that out to you. It's totally correct that Iit has been unseasonably cold this year. there's snow on the mountain so the evenings and mornings are very cool. Even people who live down at the ocean are commenting on how cold it is this year. Thank you for your stay.....blessings,Nikki
far exceeded my expectations!
the eco lodge rooms were tidy and adequately furnished--quiet ---private ----- we shot post card perfect photo-sunsets from the lanai------the open air shower was THE BEST!---BETTER THAN THE ONE I HAVE AT HOME!!-----we appreciated the kitchen facilities--every thing we needed was there!-----we loved nikki's farm/garden tour - the "tourist" recommendations listed in the welcome notebook- were helpful ---- we readily recognized nikki's strong midwestern work ethic and her thoughtful attention to details---(like OUR specific interests!)----she graciously answered our numerous questions about the vegetation and fauna in the area---treated us to "warm!!!-just out of the dehydrator" bananas!!!---YUM!!!-- and the unique dried yacon---even offered her personal mac cracker so we could enjoy the super healthy and delicious ---right from the tree--- macadamia nuts!!-----a highlight for us was the wealth of knowledge nikki shared---i.e.--her specific tips for healthy living-!----so motivating!------my papalani farm stay far exceeded my expectations -- i have already shared info to other interested parties!----it was nikki herself that made our trip so memorable . I feel so honored to meet her and extremely grateful for my visit to papalani!-----
awwwe! i love you two!
mahalo for being here & gracing Papalani Farm with your presence!
Nikki was the most awesome host, she let my wife and son feel as if the were the farmers, harvesting avocados and bananas!! The cabin was excellent, I especially loved the open air kitchen and shower!!!!
Can't wait to return!!! MAHALO Nikki !
David and family!
Some things you can enjoy in the area within a very short drive include: swimming with the dolphins in 4 bays, hiking at Manuka State Park or on the property, Hiking to Honomolino Beach where Elvis made the movie 'girls, girls, girls' is only 4 miles drive away. There south point, green sand beach, black sand beach, golfing, snorkeling at the best spots in Hawaii, Kayaking, coffee farm tours & Kulakai Caverns where you can go into some super large lava tubes.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
There are several options and prices available for the eco-cottage. 1. 2 people can rent the whole cottage for $88/night using one bedroom 2. 2 people can rent just one of the rooms for only $66/night -with possible neighbor & share a kitchen/bath 3. rent the entire cottage for up to 4 people for $109 and additional people $20/night. * christmas/new years week $20 extra/night. $125 refundable damage deposit please specify your preference in your request &/or call me if you are confused 808-328-0181 (Hawaii time zone).