About the property
- House2500 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay2 - 4 nights
Octalope - Large Ocean Front House 6 Bedrooms, 4 Baths, 2 Kitchens and Arcade
An ocean front house with 6 bedrooms, 4 baths, 2 separate kitchens and an arcade on a huge lot! This is a great place for a large extended family or for several families to share, or for smaller groups that just need a lot of bedrooms.
The house is located on a quiet, dead-end street in south Rockaway Beach about half a mile south of the Twin Rocks and 1.5 miles south of downtown Rockaway. It is a side-by-side duplex with interior doors that open to combine the 2 units. Each side has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, open kitchen/living/dining areas. The house was originally built in the 70’s and was updated in 2014 (new flooring, paint, etc), but we tried to keep as much of the original vintage style as possible.
The two main living areas (kitchen, dining and living) are upstairs to take full advantage of the views and there is a large deck that extends across the entire house that overlooks the ocean and Twin Rocks. Plus there are four bedrooms with queen beds and two bathrooms upstairs. Downstairs you will find two more large bedrooms, each with queen beds, sleeper sofas, full bathrooms and LCD televisions. The downstairs bedroom on the North side also has twin bunk beds in addition to the queen bed. There are also 2 fold down sleeper sofas, one in each living room. That’s enough room to sleep 14 people in beds and 2 more on sleeper sofas, for a total of 16.
The 3/4 acre property is right on the beach and the house sits about 500 feet from the ocean. A private path through our yard leads you down some stairs, across a wooden bridge over a stream and through a small wooded area to a quiet beach with a great view of the Twin Rocks. Along the path, you will also pass our new Hobbit Hole play house for the kids (or adults) to enjoy when they get tired of the beach or the arcade.
There is a hot tub on the lower deck with a view of the ocean.
There are two garages, each with retro arcades. The games will vary, but may include air hockey, ping pong, foosball, Double Shot two player basketball games, Super Mario Bros multicade (with 19 different games including Mario Bros, Joust Defender and many more), Dig Dug multicade (with 60 games including Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and many more), shooting games such as Area 51 or House of the Dead. All games are set for free play, so no need to bring quarters. Please note that some arcade games may not be operational during your stay, these are older games that sometimes break and we can't always fix them right away.
There is enough room to park about 6 vehicles in the driveway and the north side of the house. There is no additional on street parking because the house is located on a private road.
About Rockaway Beach:
Rockaway Beach is a small coastal resort town located only about 1.5 hours from Portland. It has a beautiful 7 mile continuous beach anchored by Tillamook Bay to the south and Nehalem Bay to the north. It’s a great location with everything you need within a short drive.
Things to do:
Walk to town (about ½ mile) and visit the shops and restaurants
Walk or drive to the beach and enjoy the 7 miles of continuous sandy beach
Take the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad from Rockaway north to Wheeler and south to Garibaldi
Hike or mountain bike the logging roads in the forest behind the city. Enjoy a panoramic view of the ocean from the top of the hills
Visit The Original Pronto Pup to see the world’s largest corn dog and ride the mechanical corn dog (the Pronto Pup is the earliest known corn dog and was invented in Rockaway Beach in 1939)
Charter fishing for lingcod, rockfish and halibut in Garibaldi
Rent motor boats and go crabbing in Garabaldi and Nehalem Bay
Fishing in the many lakes right in town (Lake Lytle, Spring Lake, Nedonna Lake)
See one of the largest western red cedars in the country right in the heart of Rockaway
Kayak in the many waterways throughout Tillamook County
Visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory
Pedal the Tillamook Bay Railroad with Oregon Coast Railriders in Garibaldi
Explore the tide pools at Three Graces Rocks at low tide just south of Barview Jetty
Go clamming in Garibaldi
Drive North through Wheeler, Nehalem, Manzanita, Cannon Beach, Seaside and Astoria
Drive South through Tillamook, Neskowin, Lincoln City, Depoe Bay and Newport
Other Things to Note:
Prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed until booking is confirmed.
Well behaved pets may be allowed with host's permission and a small fee (2 pets max). Please check with us if you plan to bring pets.
3 or 4 nights minimum stay in Summer, 4 nights for Summer holidays, 3 or 4 nights for Winter holidays and 2 nights the rest of the year.
Maximum occupancy for the property is 16 people.
An additional cleaning fee may be required if excessive trash is left in the house or yard.
We try our best to keep the arcade games working, but they sometimes break. We don't issue refunds for any arcade games that are not working.
Additional details and check-out procedures will be provided by the host in the house manual.
no parties (without owner approval)
no fires (other than in the fireplace and on the beach when allowed)
Quiet hours between 10 PM and 8 AM
Help us keep our place nice and clean for guests!
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- May 23, 2018
Why Rachelle chose Rockaway Beach
Why not? It's oceanfront and has an arcade. What more could you ask for!
What makes this House unique
Did we mention there's an arcade?
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
It was an amazing property with plenty of space for our large family
This house was perfect for our large family, activities galore for all ages. Everyone had a wonderful time and we will definitely come back!
Older home in need of updates and repairs.
1) The following applies to the North Side of this home: Oven handle broken. Refrigerator - ice maker & water dispenser do not work, also two broken shelves. Handle is broken on upstairs sliding door to the deck. Outside deck porch light doesn't work. Light over sink does not work. Switches for fan, heat & light don't work in the north most bathroom.
2) South side of this home: Washer does not work
3) In both Kitchens - Various kitchen utensils and pots & pans were dirty. Found mouse droppings in the north kitchen silverware drawer.
4) No signal for TV's in downstairs bedrooms.. There is a satellite dish outside, but apparently its not connected.
5) Beds were all made, except one bedroom only had one pillowcase on the pillow. Just want to make sure that you don't think that we took it!!
6) Garbage service was inadequate - the can was over half-full when we arrived, and there was no pickup on Friday,. With 12 people, one small can simply wasn't enough.
7) Rooms are very dark. Need more lamps. Bedside lamps would be nice too!
Our family won't be staying here again.
I'm so sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us. I definitely understand how these things could have affected your stay. Unfortunately, our guests don't always inform us of broken or needed items and since we can only fix what we know about, it affects future guests' stays as well :(
Our home was built in the 70's and when we purchased it 3 years ago we decided to keep the look and feel (light fixtures, colors, wall paper, etc.), however we did paint every wall, install new flooring and purchase new appliances and furniture. So it may feel old but many things are new. We do appreciate your feedback and would like to provide some feedback ourselves as it may be helpful for future potential guests:
1) Both the oven and refrigerator have been replaced since your review was written. The oven was on our list to replace since the handle broke but the replacement did not make it in time for your stay. The same for the fridge (the water and ice weren't broken, just not hooked up). Porch light and kitchen sink light just needed new bulbs. The switches that appear to be broken in the north bathroom are old switches from the seventies (we left them to match the retro style of the home). Seems like maybe it causes confusion so we may remove them afterall.
2) South side washer works. I'm not sure what the problem was but our cleaners used it just after your stay and I confirmed today that it's working!
3) I'm really sorry about this. Mice have been a problem this year at many of our rentals. We use pest control and our cleaners vacuum the drawers after every stay but they are relentless! I talked to our cleaners and I'm sure the dirty dishes were from previous guests as they don't go through the dishes already put away.
4) We don't have cable at our home. We do have smart TVs which allow for streaming like Hulu, Amazon, etc. We have that listed as appropriately in our description on Airbnb and VRBO but maybe we should take down the old satellite since that might also be confusing.
5) Sorry about the missing pillow case! We let our cleaners know.
6) Looks like we are missing a trash can. We always have two for guests to use. Not sure how long it was gone but a new one is being delivered next week.
7) We appreciate this feedback. Only 2 of the rooms have bed lamps so we'll order more for the rest.
Thanks again for your feedback and I'm sorry about your stay. If you change your mind and would like to stay with us again, we'd be happy to offer you a discount.
Perfect for a family get away
We celebrated my 50th birthday and this was the perfect place. Plenty of room, short walk to the ocean and the game room for the kids was a big winner!
Wonderful for kids!
This house is just great for kids. No carpets to worry about with spills, it has arcade and table games to play, and the path to the beach with the "hobbit house" is like a true "adventure" for small kids. The house isn't fancy and you don't have to worry about kids destroying anything. One thing to be aware of: there are stairs, and the stairs (both inside and outside) do not have large landings, so if you bring toddlers, you should also bring some kids gates and/or watch them closely.
The game rooms were a big hit with the guys! The big and small ones. Cute house, perfect accommodations for our group for my husbands 40th birthday. We had a great time! Lovely house. Thank you!
Perfect quiet family getaway spot :)
We had three small families for the weekend, and it accommodated perfectly. Having the 2nd kitchen and 4 full baths made things run super smoothly for everyone. The views are lovely, the beach access is a pretty walk and very reasonable in distance, and the kids loved the hobbit house. Some games weren't working during our stay, but we had a great time with the ones that did. All in all, a great time, we will definitely visit the Octolope again :)
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
CHECK IN/OUT POLICIES Check in time is at 4:00 pm and check out time is 11:00 am. Guest agrees to depart on time and acknowledges a late check-out fee of $50 will be charged if you depart later than 11:00 am, and $50 for every 30 minutes after until you have vacated. During the peak season we often have same day checkin/outs so it's important for the cleaner to get in promptly at 11am. Special arrangements for late check outs must be made in advance of check in. Guests must follow check out policies in order to receive their deposit back (a full list of check out tasks is located in the house manual). Please feel free to email owner OCCUPANCY Please note that we have a strict maximum of 18 people as per city code - that includes any children above the age of 1. This maximum is subject to the total number of guests permitted on the property (not just those spending the night). No large parties or gatherings are allowed that would violate the occupancy limits as this overoccupancy can results in revocation of the vacation rental license. Therefore, violating this term will result in immediate eviction and a minimum fine of $500. PETS Well behaved pets may be allowed with Host permission and a small pet fee. Please let us know when requesting to book if you plan to bring pets. All pets must be approve prior to check in. TRASH SERVICE & CLEANING FEE An additional cleaning fee of at least $50 may be charged if excessive trash is left in the house or yard. Rockaway Beach does not have curb-side recycling, so guest are required to take recyclables (glass bottles, cans, etc) to the local recycling centers in Rockaway or Tillamook. HOUSE RULES: Please... No parties No fires (other than in the fireplace and fire pit) No fireworks No littering No smoking inside (pick up your butts outside) Quiet hours between 10 PM and 8 AM Additional details and check-out procedures are available in the house manual. Help us keep our place nice and clean for guests!