We encourage our guests to purchase trip insurance in case their vacation has to be cancelled for any of a variety of reasons. Consumer Reports recommends InsureMyTrip. VRBO also offers trip insurance.
Lake James is a 7000 acre, pristine mountain lake, located in western North Carolina. Adjacent to the Blue Ridge Mountains and Linville Gorge, the lake offers sparkling clear water, boating, waterskiing, tubing, sailing, diving, camping, and fishing for largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, crappie, catfish, white bass and bream. A water quality study by the TVA showed the lake water to be the cleanest and purest of any lake they have ever tested. It is regarded as one of the most beautiful lakes in the Eastern US, and served as the location for the movies 'Last of the Mohicans' and 'Hunt for Red October.'
•A 1960s cottage, clean, comfortable, updated and refurbished, but not "upscale." Roughly 1200 square feet. Beach-like décor with comfortable furniture. Cable TV, DVD player, wireless internet. Maximum capacity is 6 people. We have onsite property managers, Lake James Real Estate in Morganton, NC, to be available 24-7 for any problems or issues.
•On a quiet cove in the Holiday Shores section of the lake, with a view of the main lake and South Mountains.
•3 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, economy kitchen, dining area, central heat and air, 2 screened porches. Queen bed in master bedroom, 2 twins in each other bedroom. Linens and towels for one week are included. Please note, we do NOT have a washer, dryer, or dishwasher. New flooring and updated bath fixtures in 2016.
•Gentle, grassy slope to the water. No rocks, steps, or steep banks to traverse. Lake bottom has a gradual slope and a sand bottom which makes nice swimming conditions for children.
•Huge, covered, private boat dock, with a large patio area, rocking chairs, swing, table, swim ladder, and covered boat slip for up to a 22’ boat. Bring your boat, skis, tubes, kayaks, canoes, and water toys! If you don't have a boat or jet ski, you can rent one 2 minutes away and have it delivered to our dock.
•Large parking area with plenty of room for boat trailers and RVs. There are three boat ramps within a five minute ride by boat and car.
Please note: Our home is in a residential neighborhood, and we do not rent to fraternities, house parties, school, or civic groups or other non-family groups. We do not allow occupancy by more than six people. We request no smoking or pets inside the house.
Western North Carolina, near Morganton, ten minutes off Interstate 40. Ninety minutes northwest of Charlotte; 45 min. east of Asheville; 30 min. west of Hickory. Near Boone, Blowing rock, Blue Ridge Parkway, Linville Gorge, North Carolina Outward Bound, Hickory furniture outlets. Charlotte, Gatlinburg, Dollywood, and Bristol speedway are within a two hour drive.
Other places to go and things to do in our area:
If you have a desire to leave the water and explore western North Carolina, there is a long list of possibilities:
• Lake James State Park, with hiking and bicycling;
• Catawba River rafting, tubing, kayaking, fishing
• World class trout fishing with several local, excellent guides. Wading or drift boat
• Brillant autumn foilage of the western North Carolina mountains
• Free concerts on the courthouse square every Friday night
• A 4.5 mile, paved greenway by the Catawba River for walking, jogging, biking or fishing
• Joara archaeological site
• Senator Sam J. Ervin library and museum
• Multiple golf courses
• Linville Caverns
• North Carolina Birding Trail has four viewing sites in Burke County
• Tweetsie Railroad (a MUST for every kid)
• Blue Ridge Parkway
• Appalachian trail and Mountains to Sea trail not far away
• Lake Lure (where 'Dirty Dancing' was filmed)
• Mountain biking
• Linville Gorge, Pisgah National Forest (512,000 acres of rivers, trails, waterfalls, and forest) and literally thousands of other trails
• Asheville and Black Mountain, known for cuisine of every type, crafts, galleries, art, music, shows, and lots of 'characters'
• Biltmore House
• UNC Asheville one hour away
• Blowing Rock, Boone, Appalachian State University and Lees McRae college about one hour away
• Chimney Rock State Park about an hour away
• Tryon International Equestrian Center one hour away
• NASCAR racing (98 miles to Charlotte, 88 miles to Bristol)
• Snowskiing at Appalachian, Sugar, and Beech Mountains about an hour away
• Gem mining (multiple locations in several counties)
• Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail
• Mount Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi (with a state park and a wonderful restaurant on top of the mountain)
• Grandfather Mountain, with its mile high swinging bridge and hang gliding center--one of North Carolina's most popular attractions.