Historic 2 Story Hand-Hewn Log Cabin Next to Yellowstone Park
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3-7 nights
- Property type:Cabin
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
Winner of the 2010 Historic Restoration Award from the Montana Historical Alliance , this rare 2 story hand-hewn square log cabin was built in 1907. Austrians used Broad Axes to fashion unbelievable 'compound' dovetail corners locking the logs in place for over 100 years.
The address of the cabin is: 25 Papesh Road, Gardiner, Montana if you want to Google Map it's location.
It is a short 5 MINUTE drive to the North Entrance of Yellowstone Park.
The cabin sits on 42 quiet acres once called 'The Little Trail Creek Ranch.' It once fed tourists in Yellowstone Park. It is only 4 miles north of Gardiner,Montana and the north entrance to Yellowstone. The cabin is not visible from the highway, and has lots of grass, trees and water. Out front sit the mountains of Yellowstone Park and the Yellowstone River. In the back is the Absaroka Wilderness. The old tree stumps that built the cabin are still visible up the cliffs behind the house.
Herds of Elk, Bison,Deer and Bighorn Sheep use our land all year due to the trees and open water from abundant springs.
We like to go to 'The Boiling River' - one of the best natural hot springs in the world! We were married there 26 years ago, and still go with the kids whenever we can. It is only 7 miles from our door, and it's free once inside Yellowstone Park. The spring is closed May and part of June due to high water, but Chico Hot Springs is 22 miles north, and it has wonderful food. On Sunday, you can eat the brunch and swim for free.
For 13 years we fixed up the cabin. It was fun. There are all new appliances, a 6 burner stove with convection oven, new electric and plumbing, and heating. We used antiques and old wood salvaged from train stations and hotels where needed. The old wood in the cabin has a certain 'glow' that comes from age.
During the renovation, I found many items I put into the chinking. Pocket watches, coins, buttons, even a gun--and 3 bullets in the logs [all at waist high level].
There is a steam shower for use in winter. A 4000 pound Tulikivi wood stove [for use only in winter] uses radiant heat to warm the cabin. It is made of soapstone, which will stay warm a full 2 days after a fire.
There is one bedroom downstairs, and 3 upstairs. A double bed is in the sun room, and the couch downstairs in the Tulikivi room is oddly comfortable for sleeping.
So, if you appreciate the Real Deal -- with history, wildlife, quiet and nature-- welcome to our cabin. You'll find our circle of trees cool and refreshing even on the hottest day.
Hosts- Alex, Beth, and Emma --
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
leave a message if no answer, I'll call back
Member since: 2012
- 1800 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 10-12
- King size bed upstairs above kitchen in bedroom, with single bed in room too. Both beds on the floor, fun for kids, as a basket hangs by a rope down to the kitchen. Queen size bed in 2 separate bedrooms -- one upstairs, one downstairs. Two double beds. One in an upstairs sunroom at the top of the stairs [see picture] and another in a separate bedroom. One single bed in the King bed room above the kitchen. A spare bed --made up and ready...might be used to put all the kids together in the same room. Sleep Sofa (1) Couch is very comfortable.. I often use it. No seam on the mattress -so it's comfortable. Remove back pillows on the couch to make wider....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Enclosed steam shower in first floor bathroom, No Land line Phone--- your cell phone should work. WiFi Internet. Free natural hot spring, Boiling River, 7 miles away in Yellowstone Park [it is only 1/4 mile walk from unmarked parking lot] Chico Hot Spring 22 miles north. We have 42 acres to explore, old barn and sheds, an easy walk down to the Yellowstone River and fishing too , lots of wild animals. Yellowstone river has public access for fisherman and rafting 2 miles away... the river flows across the road from our land. Yellowstone park is very close, the entrance is 4 miles drive from here. It is a very easy drive to town --3.6miles-- for grocery, restaurants, shops if you want them. You will save lots of money cooking at home. 2 miles north of cabin and outside town is The Lighthouse Restaurant - cheaper,better, and BYOB. ...moreless
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Music Library:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Cross Country Skiing
- Equestrian Events
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Ice Skating
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Rock Climbing
- Ski Privileges Optional
- Water Tubing
- Whitewater Rafting
- Clothes Dryer:
- Hair Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Living Room:
- Parking Off Street
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine:
- Wireless Internet:
- Wood Fireplace:
- Wood Stove:
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Oct 16 - May 14, 2017
7 night min stay
May 15 - Oct 15, 2017
3 night min stay
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Rates are based on 10 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Cleaning Fee $125
- Insurance $49
- Tax Rate 7%
Summer Season Rates: May 15th to Oct 15th. No damage deposit. Insurance $49. Full refund minus $50 re-booking fee if cancelled 90 days before check-in date. I do not refund the "Service Fee" charged by VRBO. No refund or cancellations if 90 days prior to check-in date. Mandatory 7% Montana Bed Tax added to rental fee. Cleaning fee $125. Check in Time 4PM. Check out Time 10AM.
Winter Season Oct. 16th to May 14th. 7 night minimum stay. $2375/week.
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 90 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Hot Springs!! My wife and I went to the Boiling River on our wedding day, 30 years ago... and we still go every chance we can. The Boiling River is the highest flow natural hot springs in the USA... one of the best in the world! Closed due to high water May and part of June. Don't miss it... bring your swim suit.
Chico Hot Springs is a historic spa, with great food. Go on Sunday for the morning brunch-- and swim for free.
Year Purchased: 1993
About the owner: I am 64, we have an 20 year old daughter who goes to school in Bozeman. My wife is a nurse practitioner. I like to work on old things, fix them up. It helps me go to sleep at night, thinking about the next project.
Why the Owner Chose Gardiner, MT, USA:
I fell in love with the area during my first job in the park 30 years ago. My wife and I met there 2 years later, and married after a 3 month romance. For 13 years we worked to bring this cabin back. I hope you can see the effort in the pictures provided.
The Unique Benefits at this Cabin:
We have, lots of wildlife including Bighorn sheep, Elk, and the occasional Wolf or Bear. We like hiking, cross country skiing in winter, and always going to the hot springs. You really get the Big Sky feeling at our place. Best Hot Springs in all of North America.
- Primary: + 4062193124 leave a message if no answer, I'll call back
- Secondary: + 4064371800 This is my cell phone.
Links to more information:
new appliances - Heartland 6 burner stove, Bosch dishwasher, Vestfrost refrig.
upstairs bedroom door from top of stair
Yellowstone Park in front yard.
Sun Room bed upstairs
pond--the mountain is in Yellowstone Park -18000 feet.
back yard--- trees --- fire pit
Firehole River in Yellowstone
Bighorn Sheep in the Fall
Upstairs bedroom, twin and king beds, good for kids
Tulikivi Wood stove with Bake oven from Finland.
trees and sheds
Den main floor
Living Room - blue couch comfortable for sleeping. Mattress is one piece.
main floor bedroom
Upstairs Full Bed in Sunroom
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Thursday, December 01, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.