Ocean Front with Dock Near Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Southwest Harbor house description
Starboard II Cottage is an exceptional rental experience.
This waterfront cottage has two stories with an interior connecting staircase to the upper level. It offers a total of 3 bedrooms (two queen BRs & one Twin BR so it will sleep 6 or 8 if you include a queen fold out sofa in the first floor livingroom). The first floor includes: Master Queen bed room with a connecting door to a full bath, a twin Bedroom (two twin beds), Kitchen, and Livingroom with sliding glass doors to a private patio with harbor views. The upper level has a Queen Bedroom with a connecting door to a full bath (tile shower), full kitchen, large dining/livingroom with fantastic views of the harbor and a 14' x 11' deck.
Included are complimentary kayaks for use in the harbor, beach and dock access.
The recreational, cultural, and dining offerings in this area are incredible with the fantastic Acadia National Park at your fingertips and Bar Harbor just minutes away by car or the FREE bus transportation system available just steps from the cottage door!
Starboard II is nestled with three other cottages in a quaint residential neighborhood on the shore of Southwest Harbor and in the midst of an interesting variety of boating activities. From the second floor deck check out the ferry which goes to some of the outer islands passes several times a day to the Upper Town Dock (within view); lobster fishermen moor their boats right off our dock who 'work off' the lobster wholesaler's docks (within view) just to the left of our property on the shore. Across the harbor is Great Bay Marina hosting commercial fishing boats and several world class pleasure yachts during the summer.
Acadia National Park, with its nearly 32,000 acres of land offers unequaled beauty and ocean front access. Over 55 miles of carriage trails were created and gifted to the people by John D. Rockefeller provide easy hiking and biking to the summits of nearby mountains with vista of unrivaled beauty.
In spite of all the physical beauty and charm of the 'Island' we hear most from our newer guests that they were most impressed with the friendliness of the community and the people of Southwest Harbor. Most are anxious to make a visit to Southwest Harbor an annual affair!
Keywords: Shorefront Cottage, Great View, Deck, Kayaks, beachfront, beach, Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Acadia National Park, dock, canoe, patio, boating, ocean, waterfront, Mount Desert Island
- 1365 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Limited Accessibility
- Children Welcome
- Pets Not Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 6-8
- Queen size Beds (2), Twin or Single Beds (2), Sleep Sofa or Futons (1)
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Towels Provided
- Hair Dryer
- 'On the Bus Line' - Acadia National Park has (in season) eco friendly propane buses with an Island wide system; the Island Explorer Bus stops at our property - bike rack included on the BUS! The bus is FREE ! Kayaks for the use of the tenants on a complementary basis. Our great neighbor next door is Jim King who owns the Lindenwood Inn. On an informal basis Jim offers limited use of his pool facilities on a space available basis and for a modest fee. (... he may invite you for cocktails!)...moreless
- Broadband Access
- Kayak / Canoe:
Location & View
- Cross Country Skiing
- Rock Climbing
- Mountain Biking
- Medical Services
- Basketball Court
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Roller Blading
- Water Tubing
- Water Skiing
- Fly Fishing
- Deepsea Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Mountain Climbing
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Eco Tourism
- Live Theater
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Miniature Golf
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Horseback Riding
- Sight Seeing
- Nestled in a quaint residential neighborhood on the shores of Southwest Harbor, Starboard II will provide you with an incomparable rental experience. This waterfront cottage is a 3 bedroom, two-story rental with an interior staircase to the upper level. The first floor includes a Master Queen bed with a door connecting to a full bathroom. Further down the hallway, across from the full kitchen is a twin bedroom with two twin beds, continuing along is the living room with sliding glass doors that open up to a beautiful private patio with harbor views. As you walk up the stairwell to the second floor, you will find yourself in a large, bright, and opened living-room/ dining room area that provides outstanding views of the harbor. Off from the living room is an exceptional 14’ x 11’ roof top deck with open, unobstructed views. There is a full kitchen with a dishwasher for your convenience. Continuing on, you will find yourself in a Queen bedroom with a connected full bathroom that has a beautifully tiled shower. From the roof top deck, you will be able to watch the ferry heading to the outer islands from the Upper Town Dock just two doors away. Since Southwest Harbor is an active working harbor, you will also be able to see lobster fishermen moor there boats right off our dock! You will never be bored with the amount of recreational, cultural, and dining offerings this area has to offer. Right across the harbor, you can watch Great Bay Marina hosting commercial fishing boats, and several world-class pleasure yachts. Acadia National Park is right at your fingertips with nearly 32,000 acres of wonderful hiking, biking, eating, swimming, and lots more. In season the Island Explorer, a free island wide bus service stops at our front door! Some guests enjoy a near by fresh water beach at nearby Echo Lake, located within the National Park, while others search for remote beaches along the 17 miles of Park ocean frontage on the Island. Bar Harbor is another popular destination for visitor. If you are in the mood for shopping, eating, or just a change of scenery for a day, jump on the free shuttle and enjoy. Traveling around town is easily assessable as downtown is walking distance from the cottage and Mount Desert Island is just a quick shuttle bus away; catch the shuttle just steps from your front door! Even with all of the physical beauty and charm of the ‘Island’, we hear most from our guests that they were impressed with the friendliness of the community and the people of Southwest Harbor. We are happy to provide you with access to our kayaks for the inner harbor only. We are also happy to share access to our dock and beach! Please ask us for any dining recommendations as the restaurants are top notch and not to be missed! ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Nicest vacation rental ever!
Nicest vacation rental ever!
My husband and I (in our 60's) have rented vacation properties in various parts of the US, Rome, Croatia, London and Istanbul and this was by far our favorite. It's modern, clean and very nicely decorated. You can walk up to the town of Southwest Harbor or down the street to the Coast Guard station and wharf. At the Captain's Galley, lobsters caught today are steamed in salt water while you wait, or you can buy them fresh off the boat and cook 'em yourself in the nice kitchen. (We took the lazy way out!) Getting back to the cottage, we were two couples so it worked out great. It's like two master suites, with the 2BR 1 Bath unit downstairs and a 1 BR 1 Bath upstairs. We barbecued one evening out on the brick patio, and I spent lots of time on the upstairs deck watching the boats swing at anchor in the harbor. They call it the quiet side of Mt Desert Island but you're a short drive to just about anything. We hiked several parts of Acadia, went into Bar Harbor, and were glad to return to our home-away-from-home each afternoon. The weather in mid-late September was lovely-- sunny and 65-70' with only one day (out of 10) where a storm blew through. The hosts (Nancy and John) were pleasant and accommodating and all-in-all, we had a wonderful visit.
- Guest Marcy (San Francisco, California)
- Date of stay 09/15/12
- Review Submitted 10/14/12
Recommended for: Girls getaway, age 55+, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, sightseeing, families with young children, families with teenagers.
Fantastic Place To Stay!
Fantastic Place To Stay!
We just got back from a week long vacation in Southwest Harbor and couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. The owners were great about communicating through-out the planning process. The place was beautiful. The decor was light and airy with plenty of comfortable seating to look out onto the beautiful view of the harbor. We had two adult children with us and this was the perfect arrangement for seperate living space. They had the downstairs with their own living room, kitchen and bedrooms and a cute porch with a decent view of the harbor. We had the upstairs with a bedroom, kitchen, dining room, and living room with the wonderful view from the deck. The location of the cottage is great! Within walking distance of pretty much anything you'd want in Southwest Harbor, and a short drive to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. We orginally considered staying in Bar Harbor, but with what we know now, we were SO happy we chose this cottage. Bar Harbor was FAR too touristy for us. This location was the perfect, true "Maine" experience. We would love to come back and stay again! Thanks!!!
- Guest CSilva (Plano, TX)
- Date of stay 09/22/12
- Review Submitted 10/01/12
Recommended for: Girls getaway, age 55+, sightseeing, families with young children, families with teenagers.
Fantastic Family Vacation
Fantastic Family Vacation
This was a week that the entire family enjoyed immensely. There were 11 of us (parents (80s), 4 sons and wives and one teen) who had a wonderful time in this beautiful house. There was plenty of room for all of us in the dining room, to hang out in the living room, play pool downstairs or just sit on the deck enjoying a cocktail and taking in the breathtaking views. The rooms were well appointed and the decor was light and airy; just the right touches for a seaside cottage. The kitchen had everything we needed and having access to the kayaks was a bonus. I look forward to coming back! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful place.
- Guest P-town CA (Pleasanton, CA)
- Date of stay 07/23/11
- Review Submitted 08/04/11
Recommended for: Age 55+, adventure seekers, sightseeing, families with young children, families with teenagers.
Apr - May . . $1260/week June Weeks . . $1695/week. July Weeks . . $2850/week. August Weeks . . $2850/week. Sep - Oct weeks . $1695/week.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This owner accepts: Credit cards.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Bar Harbor Airport at 12 Miles
Year Purchased: 1980
About the owner: The Dawson Family, owners since 1980, loves to share the beauty of Mount Desert Island with their guests. Ask owners Nancy and Jon for recommendations on restaurants, shopping, hiking trails, and secret swimming spots. We 'winter' in nearby Bangor Maine, about 45 miles Northwest of Mount Desert Island. Nancy is a Bangor native and we have an extended family there. But the beauty of the 'Island' draws us year 'round. We spend weekends in Southwest Harbor through out the four season! Things get ver quiet in January and February but there are still great restaurants and winter activities that keep us busy.
Why the Owner Chose Southwest Harbor:
Clark Point neighborhood is unique, rich in a variety of offerings and activities withing minutes by foot, boat, bike or auto! Being on the Harbor provides and ever changing visual experience. Heavily populated in the summer with an incredible array and variety of wantercraft, from the fleet of vintage Friendship Sloops to luxury Hinckley sale and power boats, to the commercial fishing fleet of lobster boats and scallop draggers. This property is 'south facing' which makes it a warm and welcoming place for us during the 'off season'... Our 'winter' home is Bangor where we work in real estate and insurance, 46 miles away, but spend nearly every weekend during the fall, winter and spring seasons! Our property and location is great because there is a mix of summer residents and year 'round residents... there is an active community here in the 'off season' During the summer the bus stops at our doorstep providing free transportation around Mt Desert Island. But when its not we are within a short distance to the Causway Club, which has nine hole golf course, clay tennis courts and a salt water heated pool. On the other side of the Club is the Park with supurb hiking. One fantastic hike is Flying Mountain which is only about 250' in elevation and takes only 20 minutes to climb. The reward is a fabulous view East overlooking Somes Sound, Northeast Harbor and the ocean and islands off shore. The trail continues down to Valley Cove on the Sound and there's a fire road returning you to the point of beginning. The proximity to the vibrant village 'down town' adds to the location. The village offers a great library, Harbor House a community neighborhood organization offering 'YMCA' type of programs for folks of all ages, a great bakery, specialty wine store, a gormet food market, bike shop, pharmacy, and an array of fine restaurants. Personally, the property provides access to the harbors and islands around Mt Desert Island.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Mount Desert Island offers the most spectacular vistas on the East Coast of the US. A visit to the 'Island' and this part of the Maine Coast would not be complete without a visit to one of the 'outer islands'... Ilseford the village on Little Cranberry Isle is minutes away from Southwest Harbor by ferry where the pace of life is of another generation. It's where a small year 'round population of hardy folk who look to the sea for their sustanance, swells with the 'summer folk who come from 'away' to occupytheir waterfront homes and cottages. So check the Ferry schedule at the Upper Town Dock and treat your self to a visit to Ilseford. And if you want a great 'shore luncheon' visit the Dock Restaurant (www.isleforddock.info) Tell Dan or Cynthia that Jon & Nancy sent you! Dining at the 'dock' is even better in the evening especially if you're lucky enough to see the sun set... its a site to behold!
- Primary: (207)632-5482 (Maine, USA) Call anytime
- Secondary: 207 632-5482
Links to more information:
View from Upstairs Balcony and Deck
Large deck overlooking harbor.
Beach and Dock View from Upstairs Balcony/Deck.
Exterior of Cottage
Garden and Dock View
Queen Bedroom on First Floor.
Downstairs living area.
Downstairs queen room.
Upstairs living and dining room with deck overlooking harbor.
Upstairs kitchen with all you need to make your own meals.
Upstairs bath with oversized tiled shower.
Upstairs master suite
View from Walking Path
Relaxing Patio with Gas Grill and Harbor Views
Downstairs living area with kitchenette.
Two twin beds. Downstairs bath has bathtub.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2009.
Date last modified - Thursday, February 20, 2014
3 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check, or direct bank transfer. Learn More
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.