1938 Lakeside Cottage - Big Glen Lake Waterfront Historic 30's Modern Cabin
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Glen Arbor cottage description
* * Water & Views! * * Available ONLY from August 31 for late summer - Please check calendar * * Our lakeside summer cottage sits on the south shore of Big Glen Lake. A comfortable family retreat with views over turquoise water, a private dock & raft for your water-based activities. 1938 'Modern' cabin was designed by Harry Weese, while in architecture school, for his parents. It has been updated in keeping with its historic character. Down a private drive, a short distance east of the Narrows Bridge, it is Ideally located adjacent to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Relax, enjoy your vacation at our bright, comfortable cottage. The large living area with fireplace has a dining table for 8 & a selection of comfortable seating. The adjacent screen porch is filled with teak furniture & a table for snacking, dinner or games. Step out to the ample deck with lounge chairs. All areas overlook the crystal clear, spring fed lake. Four cozy bedrooms will accommodate 5-8.
The Cottage: Enjoy the peace of water lapping at the shore or the breeze passing the birches while reading in the hammock or rocking in a chair on the porch. A crackling fire will welcome you after an early morning or evening dip in the lake. Whatever your inclination, a variety of activities abound and you will have a memorable vacation at our family summer home.
Waterfront: The cottage has a private dock and raft. The water is shallow at the shore with minimal beach. There is ample sandy shallow water swimming between the dock and raft. Kayaks, canoes & windsurfers can be easily accommodated, however we have no facilities for launching or mooring larger or motorized watercraft and the driveway cannot accommodate trailers. Public launch ramps are nearby. Kayaks & bikes may be rented in town.
Availability: Indian Summer dates available beginning 8/31. Enjoy warm water, glorious sun and relaxing at this great time of year.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 8
- Four cozy bedrooms will accommodate 5-8. Two rooms are waterside, one with a queen bed and the other with a double. Two rooms face the birch and pines with a sunny south exposure, one with a double and the other with twin bunks. These rooms are comfortable but compact and cannot accommodate a pack'n'play or similar. Bedding, Linens and bath towels provided. Please bring your beach towels....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- The KITCHEN is fully furnished and well suited for those who like to cook with modern amenities and appliances. It easily partakes of the activity. A grill is handy just a step outdoors. We have a Lakeview SCREEN PORCH with ample seating, dining table and direct access to DECK and chairs overlooking the lake. Steps to PRIVATE Dock & Raft. If you have specific needs or requests please inquire....moreless
- Away From It All
- Autumn Foliage
- Wildlife Viewing
- Horseback Riding
- Sight Seeing
- Bird Watching
local services and businesses
- Fitness Center
sports and adventure activities
- Freshwater Fishing
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Dining Area
- Wireless Internet
- Parking Off Street:
- Wood Fireplace:
- Towels Provided:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Cooking Utensils
- Coffee Maker
ReviewsWrite a review
early summer in glen arbor
early summer in glen arbor
An absolutely incredible place in every aspect--gorgeous views and amazing quiet, woodland retreat but still very close to town. The cabin was idyllically situated right on the lake with lovely quiet woods and was also incredibly comfortable, well-stocked for guests, and easy to reach. The owner was incredibly helpful in providing directions and information about the area, as well as very responsive and kind. It was very hard to leave the cabin at all while were there given how comfortable and beautiful the house itself was; but it's very easy to get to the dunes, to Glen Arbor town, and to other sites in the area--a perfect location. But no beach in the area is as calm, private and stunning as the water access you have from this house. All my friends who saw my photos want to come next year, and we want to make this an annual retreat!
- Guest Sarah M.
- Date of stay 06/08/12
- Review Submitted 06/20/12
I have stayed here many times over the last 30 years from June through September and have always marveled at the beautiful swimming and water. It is so peaceful to be here, read, relax, paint, walk, canoe, kayak, windsurf, hike in the Dunes National Lakeshore, and not wander far. On the other hand it is really nice to have so many other options close at hand such as good restaurants, the Art Association, Dunes Concert, shopping. It seems to get better every year without detracting from the wonderful natural environment. This cottage is really unique with expansive views on the lake. It is well provisioned for cooking, has a lovely screened porch & outside deck. The bedrooms are small, comfortable & in keeping with the 1930's modern character of the architect. A very special place where I hope to continue to return many times.
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 03/01/08
- Review Submitted 03/02/08
This is the Carribean of the North! Swimming in the sparkling blue water is delightful. Beautiful moonlight views from our deck or screened porch well furnished for dining & relaxing. Terrific location at the Dunes National Lakeshore Park. This cabin with its expansive northern views of the lake, cozy fire & comfortable furniture is a welcoming home reflecting your family care in preserving this early modern example of a notable architect's work. See you next summer!
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 08/01/03
- Review Submitted 08/01/03
$2,100-$2,625/week$2,100-$2,625/week. Saturday 4:00 pm - Saturday 10:00 amPlease check availability Calendar before Inquiring. - Thank you for understanding the maximum number of guests is 8.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
- Nearest Airport: Traverse City at 27 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Glen Arbor & Empire, nearby environs at 3 Miles
Year Purchased: 1936
About the owner: We are some of the grandchildren (in our youth) who own, manage and vacation at this wonderful cottage built by our grandparents.
Why the Owner Chose Glen Arbor:
Our grandparents visited this area to fish in the 1910's and made the great decision to build this cottage. Our parents, we, our children & theirs have made a seasonal sojourn ever since because there is so much the area has to offer.
- Primary: +1 617 267-6980 8:00am - 9:00 pm
- Secondary: +1 617 571-0475 cell
Panoramic Lake Views from Living, Porch, Deck
Private Dock & Raft, Great Swimming
View of table with kitchen beyond
BR 1 - Lakeside, queen
BR 3 - Woodside, double
Vacation on the lake - living room, screened porch, deck, hammock
Bright Living & Dining
Dining table for 8 with view to screen porch
Screen porch with corner for eating and games
BR 2 - Lakeside, double
BR 4 - Woodside, twin bunks
Early watercolor by Harry Weese, architect
4 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.