Amazing View of the Pacific from the Heart of Town.(21 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:Apartment
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
House, 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, (Sleeps 7-8)
You are surrounded by the artwork of Bill and Jennie Zacha, founders of the Mendocino Art Center. Casa Zacha was their home, which Bill designed and built in 1964.
Artists Dorr Bothwell, Toshi Yoshida, Hilda Pertha, Fran Moyer, and Charles Stevenson, and many others gathered here on many evenings to share ideas, to celebrate and to plan. They sipped red wine, ate Spaghetti Carbonara and reaped inspiration for their next work of art.
There is no better view or location in the village than Casa Zacha. You are in town, at the West end of Main Street, yet in a very quiet area across from the Headlands State Park. You are steps to the best that Mendocino culture has to offer—great restaurants, galleries, the Mendocino Art Center, the Mendocino Theatre Company, Music Festival, & Film Festival.
The kitchen is stocked with everything (spices, condiments) needed to create a gourmet meal and entertain friends.
One-of-a-kind antiques and original artworks throughout the house will delight the eye and excite the imagination.
Keywords: Casa Zacha is a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired design, offering a peaceful and private retreat,
without any neighbors to bother you.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2009
- On floor 2
- 1800 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 8
- Children Welcome:
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Included
- Private Chef
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 7-8
- Queen Bedroom Has Full Ocean View and Private Bathroom with Shower, The East bedroom is furnished with both a queen and a twin bed. This room has a balcony and an ocean view, a TV/DVD and shares a Bathroom with Shower with the Queen bedroom. The North bedroom has a brass double bed, ensuite sink, & a fantastic library. Futons (1) Actually a window seat in the Living Room, measuring 10' long by 28' wide. This is suitable for a child or shorter, narrower adults. The cushion is brand new and has 5 inches of foam...but you must bring a sleeping bag....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Although it seems strange to some people, two showers in one tiled area are quite normal. In 50 years of living in the house we have never had an issue with two people needing to shower at the same time. Usually they just take turns. Plus, we have only a 30 gallon water heater so it is better to space out the showers. We have hung a shower curtain for privacy between the showers. The Japanese soaking tub unfortunately has a leak and is temporarily out of commission....moreless
- As you arrive on the second floor you are embraced by the warmth of Casa Zacha, as there is an atrium in the center of the house which brings in light and heats the terracotta tile floors. Turning left you are awed by the vista of the Pacific Ocean and Mendocino Bay , spread out at your feet. Then you sit down to absorb it all and you never want to leave....moreless
- DVD Player:
- Music Library:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Botanical Garden
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Nude Beach
- Recreation Center
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Miniature Golf
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Beach View:
- Ocean View:
- Water View:
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Basketball Court
- Deepsea Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Pier Fishing
- Rock Climbing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Dining Room
- Seating for 8 people
- Air Conditioning:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Parking Off Street:
- Towels Provided:
- Wireless Internet:
- Wood Fireplace:
- Catering Available:
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Housekeeper Included
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Pet Fee $250 + tax
- Refundable Damage Deposit $250
- Tax Rate 11%
Our cleaning fee is $100 for two guests, $125 three to four guests, $150 five to eight guests.
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Car: Not Necessary
The Mendocino Art Center offers year around classes in the fine arts, from Jewelry to plein air painting, an Artist in Residence program and a fine gallery.
We offer a $50 discount on the rent for each guest who takes a class at the Art Center.
Year Purchased: 1962
About the owner: Raised in Mendocino, and in this house since I was eight, I am ready to share it with others. I spend half my time out of the area and am happy to give others the chance to enjoy this magnificent place.
Why the Owner Chose Mendocino, CA, USA:
This is the family home where I grew up. I lived here with my parents, Bill and Jennie Zacha, the artists who drew their friends to this town and created the artists’ community it has become. My parents first saw Mendocino in 1957. As described by Look Magazine in a 1962 article, “it was virtually a ghost town. Its population, completely dependent on a dying lumber industry, was dwindling. The town had lost interest in itself; there was absolutely nothing doing. How Bill Zacha revived it is indeed a miracle.” In Bill’s words, “Towns have souls and needs like other living things. People forget this. When I first saw Mendocino, I became excited. It had an unusual, almost unearthly quality about it - pure, quiet, unsullied - but it was dying. I knew I could help it, help it get back on its feet and make it a place where people would get a simple but profound satisfaction out of living.' After starting the Mendocino Art Center, my parents (and I) spent many years visiting and living in Italy and Japan. The influence of these countries is quite evident in the artwork throughout the house. My parents loved to entertain. While my life has taken me to Oregon now, where I spend most of my time, I want to share this home with those who appreciate its unique architecture, 60’s sophistication, and magnificent views.
The Unique Benefits at this Apartment:
The best benefit is that once you park the car everything is within a 5 block radius! And once inside the house you are in a private, peaceful sanctuary....with a view!
- Primary: +001 7079373777
- Secondary: +001 7073571406
Links to more information:
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Mendocino Bay from the living room at high noon.
View from Master Bedroom
Living Room with 500 year-old Japanese Screen
View from Dining Room
Twin and Double Bed Room
Deck: East View
View from Bedroom Deck
View from Deck
View Upon Entering
Deck: West View
This listing was first published here in 2009.
Date last modified - Saturday, April 22, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.