“Harlequin House” is an ocean front home in a quiet neighbourhood at the end of dead-end road. Enjoy the ever changing marine life scene from the house or stroll a few steps down to the foreshore to watch the bird, marine mammal and boat activity from there (lawn chairs provided!).
Our house has two levels: the upper floor has two bedrooms (both with Queen-sized beds, one has an ocean view), two bathrooms, living room with fireplace, fully equipped kitchen, laundry room, dining area, sunroom and deck; the lower floor has two bedrooms (one with a Queen-sized bed and ocean view, one with two single beds), one bathroom, a living room with fireplace, kitchenette and patio. The house can be rented in its entirety or the upper or lower floor can be rented as a separate unit (both sleep 4). Our home is perfect for 2-4 couples, groups of friends or families who seek a comfortable home to enjoy a holiday or reunion. Ask us for details.
Harlequin House is located just south of the French Creek marina (which forms part of the view), between the Oceanside towns of Qualicum Beach and Parksville. Restaurants, grocery stores, other shops, art galleries, an aquatic center, ice rink, Saturday farmer’s market and many other amenities are all only a few minutes’ drive away.
Children love exploring "our" beach at low tide. Outdoor recreation opportunities abound in the area – Harlequin House is an ideal base for golfing, bird-watching, fishing, kayaking, hiking, cycling, skiing, site-seeing or just relaxing.
• Birding: we can provide directions to multiple local birding sites for those looking for forest, freshwater or marine birding opportunities;
• Fishing: guided marine fishing is available at French Creek Marina. In October fly-fish for Coho from the rocks in front of the house or in the nearby French Creek estuary. Ask John for other local fly-fishing opportunities.
• Kayaking: borrow one of our single person kayaks provided, or bring your own kayak, launch off of the beach and check out the coastline from the water.
• Golfing: three golf courses (Morning Star, Eaglecrest and Qualicum) are within 5 minutes’ drive of the house. Others are nearby. Golf is a 12 months of the year activity in Oceanside!
• Hiking: options range from climbing Mt Arrowsmith to strolling the Parksville boardwalk, all levels of hikes can be accomplished as day trips from our house.
• Cycling: Oceanside has a good network of bike paths within the community as well as a mountain biking trail network to challenge a full range of skill levels.
• Skiing: we are one hour from Mt Washington Alpine Resort. Play in the snow by day (Alpine ski lifts, nordic ski and snowshoe trails available) then relax with an ocean view in the evening.
• Sight-seeing: multiple options including tour Horne Lake caves, visit a Gulf Island (Lasquiti Island ferry departs from French Creek Marina, you will see it from the house; Denman / Hornby Island ferry is 20 min drive away), check out our waterfalls (spectacular Englishman River Falls Provincial Park or Little Qualicum Falls Park both are about 15 minutes’ drive away), visit a salmon hatchery (Big Qualicum River hatchery is about 20 minutes away), check out the Coombs market with their Goats on the Roof, or venture further afield (about 2 hours’ drive) to see Long Beach and Tofino.
We are happy to provide any help you might need in planning your vacation. We live nearby and will be available if needed but will otherwise leave you in peace to enjoy yourselves.