Inverness Family Vacation Retreat! Private Tennis Court! Pets Welcome!! Wi-Fi!(40 Reviews)
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
House, 5 Bedrooms, 2.5 Baths, (Sleeps 9)
Come play tennis under the oak tree canopy, on the lined asphalt court in great condition.
Musically inclined? Play our piano.
Need to stay in touch with the office or access the web? We have wireless (wifi) access to high speed internet and unlimited long distance phone calls are provided on the 'land line' to our guests.
Each room opens out to the expansive deck, for independent and private access. Great windows front and back and 'dutch doors' - open the top half and let in the light and air and music of the birds. Enjoy the cool morning and evening air under your down duvet! The location is ideal for a peaceful stay but also supports an active lifestyle for adults and kids - extended families love it!
Located across the street from the Inverness school and playground. Walk on the trails or down to the Inverness General Store, gift shop and restaurants. Drive to nearby Tomales Bay State Park swimming beaches, including Shell Beach or out to the Point Reyes Lighthouse or the special ocean beaches. Kayaking and sailing are popular on Tomales Bay (kayaks can be rented). Other quality restaurants are nearby in Point Reyes Station and Olema, just a few miles away.
If you are like us, you will want to spend some of your time in the very private, park like setting, playing tennis, climbing trees, playing board games or reading books in the cozy living room by the fire or on the deck shaded by oak trees. Pick blackberries in the summer, particularly in late July and in August. That formula has worked for five generations in our family, enjoying the magic of Inverness since 1914.
The main house and tennis court date back to the 1890s with the rest of the house added in the 1930s. The master king suite over the garage has a bath/shower. The main bathroom next to one of the queen bed rooms has an updated shower. Washer and dryer in the separate garage.
Many of our guests become 'regulars' who we welcome back year after year. We hope you will find our property worthy of becoming one of your special vacation spots, enjoying Inverness and exploring the Point Reyes National Seashore.
Note - NO TV! Keeping with our history of conversation before the fire and board games, we don't have a TV set. However, the strong wi-fi network allows you to stream video on your portable electronics. The result? Board games, puzzles, tennis, walks and conversation replace the time that you are used to spending with the TV! (My favorite is Scrabble!) Here are some of our guest’s comments:
• “A delightful place…..I hope to come back again….”
• “……in harmony with nature….”
• “……so lucky to have spent time in this amazing home in this beautiful place…..”
• “….cooking delicious food together and gathering around the round table……”
• “….a place where time slows enough for you to catch up.”
• “We had a super family gathering. All of just loved being here. This is a fabulous place to be. Our stay has been delightful.”
• “Our dog was in heaven!!”
• “PS – The stars were fabulous.”
• “Upon walking inside, one can smell this home’s history. Rich and comfortable. Warm and full of genuine laughter. The place is full of good things. Well built, confident and provocative. It leaves you wanting to read its history. Thank you for the protection against modernization.”
• “We came looking for peace and tranquility, and things green and growing. They were here in abundance!”
• “This house is really remarkable…..the symbiotic feeling of the building and natural elements blending together……but perhaps even more amazing are the memories that are made here. A couple of days of rain encouraged us to get to know this place and one another a bit better. We congregated around the fire and did puzzle after puzzle together, lounged and talked and played board games – our family’s winter holiday was one we will always treasure. We found ourselves speculating about the Colbys and the history of this space, how special the family must be who came together here and have opened its doors to the rest of us.”
• “Our kids had a blast exploring in and around the house – they are not happy about leaving!!”
• “I enjoyed the space to dream.”
• “We loved our stay at Colby House; it is the quintessential Inverness house – cozy and comfortable. We enjoyed the piano. We appreciate the history of the house and the way you have kept things the way they were. The light and the quiet are delicious – we don’t want to leave!”
• “Had a great time and the kids not only survived having no TV but also had a great time.”
• “We loved this mysterious big old house, big decks, big windows, big glorious tennis court, big trees, and big generous loving sense of being cared for! Unforgettable.”
• “….what a fireplace!”
• “We really enjoyed traveling back in time.”
• And a few comments from the younger set:
• “Thank you for letting us stay here. I was very excited!! But there is no TV.!!”
• “We had a wonderful time. We climbed on the tree, played in the tennis courts and built forts.”
• “My sister and I had a lot of fun exploring and playing ping-pong. Thank you.”
• “I do not want to leave the tennis court. I want to stay here and I really love tennis. It was my first day playing tennis ever. I liked playing the piano. Your place is really fun. We went to the beach and I dug the biggest hole that I had ever seen.”
Keywords: Vacation house with tennis court, almost a full wooded acre with oak trees, near hiking trails and in the lovely resort town of Inverness in West Marin County
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
(925) 963-3250 (California, USA)
Member since: 2008
- 1750 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9, Beds for 9
- King size beds (1) King bed above the garage, a master suite., Queen size Beds (2) Two queen bedrooms, one next to the main bathroom, and the other shares a 1/2 bath with the end bedroom which has two twin beds., Twin or Single Beds (3) One room with single twin bed, one with two twin beds...moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- CD Player
- Music Library:
- Ping Pong Table
- Away From It All
- Horseback Riding
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Mountain Biking
- Dining Area
- Seating for 9 people
- Broadband Access:
- Clothes Dryer
- Free Long Distance
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $150
- Cleaning fee $225
- Pet Fee $25
- Tax Rate 10%
An additional charge of $25 for cleaning is required for guests who bring a dog.
We require a security deposit of $150, and $400 if guests are bringing a dog.
We accept Visa and MasterCard with a 5% fee added, and Paypal with a 4% fee added.
Rates are subject to change until confirmed by phone or e-mail.
Manager's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting manager when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Year Purchased: 1933
About: Mike Brown and his family are the Bay Area Colby family members who own the Colby House. Mike's grandparents Henry and Ruth Colby bought the property in the 1930s and raised their children with long summers at the house. The main house was built in the 1890s, along with the tennis court, but Henry added several bedrooms after buying the house. Mike's Aunt Mary Colby McKey is another owner of the Colby House, and her passion has been to retain the history and 'feel' of the house from her childhood.
Why Inverness, CA, USA:
All of the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of Henry and Ruth Colby have their favorite memories and activities associated with the Colby House. It was the dream of Ruth Colby that the Colby House would remain in the family and that new people would have the chance to experience the magic of this special place. Special memories include summer and winter holiday weekends and extended visits; special activities include playing cards and games in the living room; short drives to the Tomales Bay beaches, particularly Shell Beach where Ruth Colby used to drive each day in the summer to swim after 4:30pm; longer drives out to the beautiful ocean beaches, particularly McClures, but also to enjoy the wildflowers and to look for the Tule Elk who live in their own preserve. And, to be honest, it is common to stay on the property and take walks around the neighborhood and lose all ambition as the property itself is incredible and very relaxing when sitting on the deck!
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The property is very private, with almost a full acre and the entire side of the block of Park Avenue, up from Forres Way where our green gates face the Inverness School. Within the property is the newly resurfaced and restriped tennis court, and an oak tree next to the deck which is suitable for climbing (and with a rope swing as well)! Everyone enjoys sitting on the deck in the summer to enjoy every meal!
- Primary: (925) 963-3250 (California, USA)
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Wonderful deck with Adirondack chairs and more, view of the oak tree canopy
living room with couches in front of the fire, card table for games!
Steinway Pianola upright!
Panoramic photo taken to show relation of tennis court, main house and garage.
Queen/master bedrooom, half bath with sink in room, connects to twin bedroom
Another great view of end bedroom and picture windows.
Another angle picture taken of king sized bedroom over the garage
Cozy 5th bedroom for one - perfect for an afternoon nap or quiet reading.
The walk down to Shell Beach on Tomales Bay, a short drive away for a swim!
Nearby hiking trails show off gorgeous views of Marin County.
Visit the shipwrecked "Pt Reyes" behind Inverness General Store on Tomales Bay
Enjoy the board games! The kids can find a variety of blocks in the toy box too!
Enjoy reading and visiting in the comfortable seating area!
View from the yard - almost a full wooded acre!
Tennis on your own private court! Shaded by mature oaks
second Queen bedroom adjacent to bathroom
End bedroom with two twin beds, with a 1/2 bath between this room and the next.
King size bed in private suite with full bath over garage
McClures Beach, a must see! Tidepools, pelicans, seals, whales in season!
Enjoy glimpses of the Tule Elk herd roaming at the north end of the seashore!
A gorgeous view of the fall garden from the edge of the property.
Brock's boat house on Tomales Bay....memories of teenage Henry Colby at work!
This listing was first published here in 2008.
Date last modified - Monday, December 05, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.